When you are living in Monaco, you can’t help notice the presence of the large SBM logo stamped on a whole range of brochures, publicity material and buildings. But what does this ever-present emblem refer to; what does it mean?
SBM stands for La Société de Bains Mer, the largest employer in Monaco. The group, which employs more than 3,000 people in the Principality, is mainly concerned with overseeing a number of Monaco’s most popular hotels, casinos and restaurants.
The company was set up in the late 19th century, and is an institution in Monaco. With the State of Monaco as its main shareholder, the resort Monte-Carlo SBM manages a heritage unique throughout the world with a reputation to match.
If you live in Monaco, or have visited with a view to buying real estate in Monaco, you will surely be aware of a number of the SBM’s venues — but perhaps not all. Here is a complete list of those enterprises which fall under the prestigious SBM banner:
- Five casinos, including the famous Casino de Monte-Carlo, Casino de Café de Paris, Sun Casino, Rascasse Casino and Monte-Carlo Bay Casino
- Four hotels including Hôtel de Paris Monte-Carlo, Hôtel Hermitage Monte-Carlo, Monte-Carlo Beach and the Monte-Carlo Bay Hotel & Resort
- 33 restaurants including La Vista Bar, le Buddha Bar and The Circus as well as the plethora of first-class restaurants situated within the hotels
- Les Thermes Marins Monte-Carlo – one of Europe’s most beautiful spas which has stunning views of the Port
- The legendary nightspot Jimmy’z which is popular with young and old living in Monaco, as well as the Salle des Etoiles, host to Monaco’s Summer Sporting festival where performers such as Robbie Williams sing under the stars